or Nasu Dengaku, the Japanese name for this amazing dish. This is one of my two favourite dishes whenever I go to a Japanese restaurant. My second favourite is Black Cod, another miso marinated dish.
Ingredients for the miso glaze (for 2 halves of an aubergine)
- 1.5 tbsp white miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp mirrin
- 1/2 tbsp sake
- Spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- Half the aubergine and score through (without going through the skin) diagonally in one direction and then in the other. Each scored line should be approx 1 cm apart.
- Put some oil in a frying pan, one you have a lid for, and fry skin side up until the flesh has turned golden.
- Turn over, turn the heat down to low and place a lid on top. The aubergines are now steam cooking through and are ready when the flesh is completely soft all the way through. This stage will take at least 15 mins but it can take longer so be patient.
- While the aubergines are cooking, mix the miso glaze ingredients.
- Once fully cooked, spread the miso glaze evenly over each aubergine half
- Up to the previous stage can all be prepared in advance: when ready to eat pop in a hot oven for approx 10 mins
- Serve sprinkled with spring onion and sesame seeds